Welcome to papworthanaesthesia.org!
Royal Papworth Hospital is one of the largest and most experienced cardiothoracic centres in Europe.
- In 1978, we carried out the UK’s first successful heart transplant
- In 1986, we carried out the world’s first combined heart, lung and liver transplant
- In 1991, we were the first centre in the world to use nitric oxide for pulmonary hypertension
- In 2011, we were the first centre in the UK to send home a patient with an artificial heart
- In 2015, we performed Europe’s first heart transplant using a non-beating heart
We are a major centre for heart and lung transplantation, and the UK’s only centre for pulmonary thromboendarterectomy. Our busy intensive care unit has extensive experience with mechanical circulatory support, and we are one of five UK centres providing ECMO retrievals for some of the country’s sickest patients.
In September, we will be moving to a stunning new hospital within the Cambridge Biomedical Campus.